Friday, December 7, 2012

Thursday, November 29th

Got a late launch on the Cross Bayou today at 10:00am. Normally I fish the shoreline along the way upriver, but today I just paddled hard to the spot in the canal where Joe's Creek lets in.

It was one of our warmer days, and the sun was high enough to only be casting shadows on one side of the mangroves. I went straight to work on that side, casting my Yozuri shrimp as close to the mangroves as possible. In due time, I was rewarded with two small snook to the yak, and another two jumped.

With the skunk off, I paddled up to the fairgrounds, jumping another snook just past the cajun restaurant. The fairgrounds were unusually quiet -- no mullet in sight. I fished the whole north and east shore with just a ladyfish to show for it.

On the paddle back I stopped to throw the flat Rap a few times and caught another small snook at the mouth of Joe's Creek. For now, that seems to be the only spot producing any regular catches. I'm happy to see all the small snook, but am wondering where the bigger ones are. It's possible with our consistently cool weather that they haven't had a cold enough snap to jolt them out of their homes and send them upriver.

I stopped one more time on the way back and caught a dozen or so ladyfish on light drag just to hear the reel sing a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment