Monday, November 19, 2012

Friday, November 16th

Launched at 62nd Avenue along Park Street for my first voyage of the season into the Cross Bayou Canal. 

Straight off the bat, I spooked a nice redfish that was mudding along in about 8 inches of water. Paddled on to the first mangrove line I like to fish and started throwing the Yo-zuri shrimp. No hits after a half-dozen casts, so I switched over to the Flat Rap. First cast with the Flat Rap I brought to hand a small snook, somewhere in the 12" range. Next cast to the same spot I hooked up with another small snook, but this one got the best of me and tossed the lure after a nice jump.

I paddled up to the Park Street bridge and fished the pilings for a bit -- too long, really, as nothing was biting. That's been a productive spot for me in the past, but it was dead today.

Continued up to where Joe's Creek lets in and fished the mouth of the creek for a good thirty minutes with nothing doing. Saw something busting bait, but it didn't like my offerings. From there I started fishing the north shore of the creek and caught another little snook on the Flat Rap, then followed that fish up with two back-to-back mangrove snapper out of the same spot.

Jumped two more snook up the shoreline, then the bite went dead. I switched over to the south shoreline and also switched over to the Yo-zuri shrimp. I went on to catch six more snook with that lure, including one I caught on a long cast back to the other shoreline.  All of of the snook were in the 12-15" range, with one around 20" (pictured below).



Despite their small size, those junior snook were hitting and fighting twice their size. They were a lot of fun to catch, and it was heartening to know that this young population of snook are thriving. Can't wait till they put on a few pounds...

On my paddle back out I jumped one more snook and caught a couple of hard-hitting ladyfish before wrapping it up for the day. Four hours on the water and eight snook -- that's a ratio I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment